Chapter 3: Student Affairs
03:04:00 Student Activity Fee
Northeast State Community College shall collect a student activity fee from each student, per semester. Fees help support student activities, including, but not limited to, cultural and performing arts, institutional student honors, student health services and graduation. Through this process, funds collected from the activity fee shall be used to:
- Increase the amount of student programming;
- Assist student organizations and student programs by providing funding for programming needs; and
- Supplement the College budget so as to increase an organization’s ability to deliver services to students.
Appropriation. A fee of $23.00 shall be collected from each student per semester.
Allocations. Funds collected shall be allocated using the following disbursement:
- Eleven dollars and 75 cents per student for student programs through the Student Life Department;
- Five dollars and 50 cents per student for student health services;
- Two dollars and 75 cents per student for cultural and performing arts activities;
- Two dollars per student for graduation activities; and
- One dollar per student for institutional honors and honors convocation.
Remaining carryover funding may be used for student organizations and student programs or non-recurring student activities at the discretion of the Vice President for Student Affairs.
Student Activity Fee Committee. The Student Activity Fee Committee reviews requests and makes recommendations for the disbursement of funds to student organizations and student programs. The committee shall be comprised of the following positions:
- Vice President for Student Affairs, Chair
- Representatives from Academic Affairs (4): Designated by the Vice President for Academic Affairs as follows: (1) Academic Dean, (2) Faculty, and (1) Distance Education
- Chair of Cultural Activities Committee
- Student (1): Designated by the Vice President for Student Affairs
- Director of Leadership Programs, non-voting
- Director of Campus Activities, non-voting
The committee shall meet no less than one time per year and schedule budget hearings, as needed, if student organizations or student programs request additional funding. Annual requests for funding from student organizations or student programs are due to the Director of Leadership Programs by April 30.
Conflict of Interest. Committee members shall acknowledge and disclose any and all conflicts of interest which may arise and will abstain from any vote involving a conflict and/or recuse themselves from the committee if such conflicts of interest exist.
Such conflicts of interest exist when a committee member has direct or indirect supervisory/budgetary authority for or participation in a student organization or student program requesting funds, or other affiliation (e.g., membership in the organization requesting funds) that creates a perception of limited objectivity.
Allocation Criteria. All requisitions for purchases, travel authorizations, and claims, petty cash requests, bookstore charges and receipts for all purchased items must be submitted to and approved by the Director of Leadership Programs to ensure accurate accounting of student activity fees allocated to student organizations or student programs.
Requestors shall utilize a Request for Student Activity Fee Allocation form when submitting funding requests.
In addition, allocation shall be based on the following criteria:
- No funds shall be used to finance instructional activities, charitable causes or partisan political activities. Northeast State prohibits the expenditure of allocated student activity fees on charitable causes that include, but are not limited to, monetary or item donations to an individual or individuals.
- Student activity fees shall not be used to finance, support or influence voting on any issue currently on a College, local government, state government or federal government election ballot. In addition, such funds shall not be used in any manner to influence public opinion or legislation.
- Student activity fees shall not be for individual use or to establish petty cash funds.
- If any program funded in whole or in part by student activity fees yields a net profit, that net profit must be returned to the student activity fee fund. Under no circumstances shall any profit from a program funded in whole or in part by student activity fees be donated to any individual or organization.
- All ticket sales for a program funded in whole or in part by student activity fees must be conducted through the Student Life Department.
- Each organization must annually complete a program evaluation and expenditure report and deliver it to the Director of Leadership Programs.
- Any organization which is funded by the Student Activity Fee Committee to have abused or misapplied student activity fees may be ineligible for any further allocations of funds during the remaining portion of the current funding year.
- No more than fifty percent of a specific travel request may be expended using student activity fees, unless otherwise approved by the President of the college.
- Meals per diem associated with travel will not be reimbursed from student activity fees. In addition, food items intended for resale shall not be purchased with student activity fees.
- All eligible student organizations receiving funds from the student activity fee are subject to the regulations and auditing procedures set forth by the Northeast State policies and procedures and the Tennessee Board of Regents.
Please refer to TBR Guideline B-060 for additional information.
Back to Top
|Divisional Review Responsibilities Checklist: Student Affairs|
Revision History: April 2014, Revision: January 2015